Kym Lardner Collection

Kym Lardner Collection

Kym Lardner Collection

Kym Lardner Collection

Arnold the Prickly Teddy

Grandpa’s Horses

The Coat-hanger Horse

The Sad Little Monster and the Jelly Bean Queen

Kym Lardner

ABC Books, 2008

128pp., pbk, RRP $A24.95 

9780733320248

One of my memorable moments as a teacher librarian was when Master 5 (who had been at school about six weeks) came in and asked for  “that book about the teddy that looks like me.” We do get some obscure requests at times, but this one was not as hard as it first seemed, because my assistant and I looked at the Master 5 and then looked at each other and said together, “Arnold the Prickly Teddy.” Because this little chap did bear an uncanny resemblance to the star of this delightful picture book about a teddy who was left on the toyshop shelf because his fur was prickly.  I had shared it with his class but someone else borrowed it before he did. 

But there was more than just a physical likeness between Master 5 and Arnold, for Master 5 was also intellectually different from his peers and some of his behaviours set him apart so that when it came to a lot of group activities in school, he was also “left on the shelf.”  Perhaps Master 5 knew of this affinity with Arnold but couldn’t articulate it.  Whatever the reason, Arnold the Prickly Teddy went home with Master 5 several times that year, usually when he had been through a rough patch at school .  It was though he was seeking reassurance that one day he’d be just like the others and loved and accepted for who he was. 

Come Term 4 and Master 5 (who was now Master 6) came and asked for another book. “Arnold is back on the shelf.  Would you like that one too?” we asked.  “No, that’s okay, ” he said.  “Arnold’s happy now and so am I.”

Kym Lardner has a knack of writing and illustrating what appear to be simple stories, yet not too far beneath the surface there lies a profound concept that really speaks to our children.  In this collection of four stories, each appears to be a simple tale but each is much richer than this and offers scope for discussions about how we think and feel.  The Sad Little Monster and The Jelly Bean Queen is about the effect of a smile; Grandpa’s Horses is about that special bond between grandfather and grandson and The Coat-hanger Horse explores the power of the imagination. 

Because of the depth in these stories, younger children will enjoy hearing these stories over and over, and then being able to read them for themselves as the large text, simple vocabulary and rich illustrations all support beginning readers. A great addition to the home or school library.

Reviewed Thu 27/03/2008