My First Mr Men a b c

My First Mr Men a b c

My First Mr Men a b c

My First Mr Men a b c 

Roger Hargreaves

Penguin, 2016

16pp., board book., RRP $A16.99

9781409389187

For 45 years Roger Hargreaves’s Mr Men characters have been delighting children in a series of books that are distinctive for their child-friendly size, white covers, and simple, colour-block illustrations.  Beginning with Mr Tickle, inspired by his son’s question about what does a tickle look like, Hargreaves added more than 40 other characters as well as another 42 Little Miss characters, each with a simple message and value.  It has been such an iconic series that to celebrate their 45th anniversary, the characters were redrawn and featured as part of the 2016 VIVID Festival in Sydney.

A series that has already lasted 445 years in print is likely to last another 45 at least, so this new alphabet book featuring the characters and very familiar objects drawn in the familiar Hargreaves style is the perfect way to introduce the very youngest readers to this literature institution.  The simple, bright solid-colour illustrations are just right for the very young and the board book format makes it sturdy for not-so-sophisticated hands.  

The Mr Men series is set to delight yet another generation.